provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm
VoIP Billing solution

All times are UTC

Post subject: public interface...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:32 pm 

Hello,

I was wodering about how people who use A2Billing for a calling card systems implements their customer interface.

I think is very insecure to have Asterisk, the DB (mysql or psql) and the customer interface in the same box. Am I wrong?

I rather prefer to put the UI (for resellers) and the customer interface in a separated hosted server and make those interfaces to connect via SSL to my in-office mysql server (where is running * + A2Billing).

It would be nice to hear about other folk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:47 pm 

me too same thing i was thinking is there a way to install th ecustomer ui on a seperate server?

Post subject: splitting server
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:11 am 

I managed to do it but it was messy. Moving the DB to another machine is easy, just change the database host entry in a2billing.conf

I hated the idea of unknown users browsing to my asterisk box to sign up so I moved all the user-oriented web interfaces to another machine (which is the only proper way to do it!). The problem is the signup directory in UNDER the admin dir (big mistake!), so you must include the whole dir structure on the new web server. You also need another copy of a2billing.conf in /etc/asterisk on the web server even tho asterisk isn't on that machine. Now you have 2 copies of the conf file, and depending on what setting you are changing, you must remember which file to change. Very messy. I ended up going back to the standard deployment model, and plan to revisit this later.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:34 am 

Yeah...i'll second what timbo1966 said.....I did it....but i had to do a GREAT deal of tinkering to get it to work....all in all i moved back to just having a standard install....one of these days i'll clean up some of the code a little more so we can get this done.....as timbo said it
Quote:
(which is the only proper way to do it!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:47 pm 

Areski just gave me the answer.

Load asterisk and a2billing on your asterisk server.
Put your "master" a2billing.conf file in /etc/asterisk like normal.
Put additional_a2billing_???.conf in /etc/asterisk like normal.
Move all the web interfaces to another web server.
Put a copy of a2billing.conf and additional_a2billing_???.conf in /etc/asterisk on the web server.
Use rsync to keep the .conf files synchronized.
Here's a good rsync primer: http://everythinglinux.org/rsync/

Good luck,

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:58 pm 

Yeah I thought about doing that...but I was lazy and didn't want to implement it.....but that would work 100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:26 pm 

Is it possible to put all configs (sip too) to SQL? i think this way will be better.
RealTime?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:35 pm 

Anest ... I wondered if that isn't mandatory if your system grows so much? I mean if you have 100,000 users like FWD say's they do with 30,000 active registrations ... think that additional_sip friends file would get HUGE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:37 pm 

Hmm...its funny...we actually have our system running off of the realtime db...we don't use any config files except a2billing.conf....which would be the only file we would have to sync, or we could define the variables in the web interface rather than get them from the config.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:53 am 

I just finished completely moving all web interfaces to another server as described above. The rsync turns out to be a piece of cake -- don't read the rsync tutorial I referenced earlier, just add these lines to /etc/crontab on the web server. Change the frequency as needed -- mine is once per hour.

# This copies the master a2billing configuration file from the asterisk server to the web server
00 * * * * root rsync -a -e ssh \
asterisk.yourdomain.com:/etc/asterisk/a2billing.conf /etc/asterisk

# This copies the sip and iax friends files generated by the a2billing web interface to the asterisk server
00 * * * * root rsync -a -e ssh \
/etc/asterisk/additional_a2billing_???.conf \
asterisk.yourdomain.com:/etc/asterisk

The ONLY thing that won't work in this scenario is the mp3 & MOH file upload capability built into a2billing. You'll have to do this manually which shouldn't be a problem since it's not something you need to do often.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:56 am 

I should add that to avoid being prompted for ssh passwords, you need to generate some server keys (without passphrases) and put each server's key in the opposite server's /root/.ssh/authorized_keys file. And, of course, the servers & any firewalls will need to allow ssh through.... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:21 pm 

timbo1966 wrote:
The ONLY thing that won't work in this scenario is the mp3 & MOH file upload capability built into a2billing. You'll have to do this manually which shouldn't be a problem since it's not something you need to do often.

Tim

Although I am not a big fan of NFS, if MOH upload is important to you, you could always mount the directory from the web server remotely via NFS. For personal/admin use I wouldn't mind using it. Don't count on it for production/end-user use though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:46 am 

timbo,

I followed your steps (and Areski's) as follows:

-I created /etc/asterisk directory on my webserver
-I changed owner for that directory to apache "chown -R apache:apache /etc/asterisk/"
-Copied across a2billing.conf and a2billing_additional*.conf
-Copied both A2Billing_UI and A2BCustomer_UI to my web server (I used tar pcvf ... to even maintain rights) under /var/www/html/

I can access the login screen for http://webser/A2Billing_UI but get "Connection failed"

I even pointed my a2billing.conf on the webserver to database hostname of the asterisk server.

But unfortunately no go.

There must be something else that I need to do to get this to work.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:08 pm 

Have you configured your SQL server to listen on a IP socket rather than a UNIX socket? If so, double check the A2B SQL user's credentials permit login from the web-server's IP.

Added after 2 minutes:

PS those of you here using rsync should take a look at inosync which combines an rsync server with the kernel's inotify mechanism to push out changes as they're made rather than from a cron job.

Post subject: Re: public interface...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:50 am 

Hi All:

It seems like with these instructions, I should be able to achieve the following that I am trying to achieve if not can please someone post some hints addition to what has been discussed above:

Scenario 1:
1. A2B+Asterisk on one server
2. Database (Mysql or postgresql which one is recommended for A2B?) on one server
3. Webserver: To allow new signup, cdr access, client data access, ratecards, callerid add, etc.

Scenario 2:
1. A2B + Asterisk + Default Database on one server
2. Webserver

I think scenario2 is easier. My question is when having a separate webserver:

1. Will the client data/cdr be close to realtime?
2. Has anyone used SOAP to do this instead of using rsync ever 5 minute (is rsync used to sync client cdr as well?)
3. Can anyone help me setup a seperate webserver for a reasonable fee if I fail to do it myself with the above instructions and any responses of my post?

Thanks a lot for all your support.

KK

VoIP Billing solution