provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm
Auto Dialer Software

All times are UTC

Post subject: Simultaneous number of calls in Asterisk2Billing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:11 am 

Hi

We are running SIPp to call load test A2Billing.

In our test environment A2Billing is configured to handle Caller ID authentication. SIPp is configured with an external ".csv" file listing 200 users and caller IDs so multiple calls are generated from different users so the calling card credit in the A2Billing database can be exercised as well.

Asterisk is configured to simply answer each call and wait for SIPp to drop it after 15 seconds. Neither voice prompts nor music on hold are being played because we want to avoid hitting other limitations in Asterisk.

The target server is a 2 x Intel 5150 Xeon Dual Core 2.6GHz and 4 GB of memory.

The results are showing A2Billing can handle only up to 7 calls per second with a total of 105 simultaneous calls each lasting 15 seconds. When increased above 105 simultaneous calls SIPp starts getting unexpected "BYE" messages. Processing capacity reaches a max of 35%.

When taking A2Billing out of the picture and only running Asterisk, the same server is able to run up to 16 calls per second with a total of 240 simultaneous calls each lasting the same 15 seconds. The 240 simultaneous calls match the stated tested capability of the Business Edition of Asterisk at Digium web site. When increasing above 240 simultaneous calls SIPp start getting "500 Server Internal Error". Processing capacity in this scenario reaches only 5% since there is no media being played nor transcoding.

We are trying to understand if the maximum number of simultaneous calls when running A2Billing can be increased to get closer to 240 calls and if not what the limitations are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:19 am 

Hi

Some other metrics may be useful to check what is going on such as memory and paging.

If you run a 64 bit version of CentOS, you can address more memory than just the 4Gb if this is the bottleneck.

Additionally, you may consider separating the database onto a separate machine.

It may be interesing to switch off the database and A2Billing and configuring asterisk alone to receive the calls from SIPp and see what capacity you actually have in Asterisk before things go wrong, so you can get an idea of the capacity of Asterisk and therefore the effect of A2Billing on the number of concurrent calls.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:50 am 

Could you share with us a few details about your SIPp configuration? I'd love to run this test on my machines and check on the results (of course, share them, too) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:52 am 

SIPp and installation instructions available at http://sipp.sourceforge.net/

See attached, the scripts used on the test "uac_mod.xml" and uac_pcap.xml (with media) as well as the external ".csv" file listing the users and the batch file with the complete SIPp command (sipcall-a2billing).

Attachments:
Archive.zip [4.73 KiB]
Downloaded 779 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:16 am 

I run into almost exactly the same scenario in a seperate case.

I have a x86_64 version of CentOS, 4GB, Intel 2.3Ghz Dual core Xeon.

I'm running asterisk 1.6beta7.1.

I also get roughly 240 concurrent calls when making outbound calls without A2Billing. My setup is sipp generating calls to the Asterisk, which initiates a call over a SIP trunk to another Asterisk which only answers and does Playback(). No transcoding is done.

Likewise, when the same scenario is run with A2Billing on that Asterisk, everything else being identical, there seems to be an upper bounds max of 100-105 calls that can be simultaneously created. Then I likewise see Asterisk sending "unexpected messages" to SIPp (according to SIPp they're unexpected. THe best I can tell is that they are BYE message sent early). The Asterisk box is only running at about 30% CPU, and about 1/2 memory, with no swapping.

Does anyone have any more information, or know where some can be found?

THanks,

Nathan

Added after 48 minutes:

A few more things I tried:

- 2 seperate instances of sipp, each calling as a different customer, each making 75 concurrent calls at a low cps, and still 99 active calls is all the more I am allowed to set up before the Asterisk-under-test starts sending BYEs

- I even took that one step further and sent customer #1's calls over a SIP trunk to another Asterisk, and sent customer #2's calls over an IAX trunk to another Asterisk, to see if the problem was one involving A2Billing and trunks. Same 99-105 limits.

Other ideas/thoughts?

Nathan

Post subject: Re: Simultaneous number of calls in Asterisk2Billing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:26 pm 

Did you tune MySQL:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/ ... tions.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:07 am 

dhekial and natan,

Good findings. I am wondering if you can share more after "tuning" mysql and if you were able to yield a different result since it's been some time?

Thank for sharing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:24 pm 

Hello all,
I was googling into this issue, and I arrived to this old thread...

My question here, as I heard, that A2Billing allow maximum 7 CPS (Calls per second), for each single rate, dose this is true??

I never was aware of that, actually our system is handling about 850-900 calls simultaneously, where I have the server loaded over 80%, reason for what I'm planing to upgrade the hardware, but I never suspect about a2billing limitation per single rate!!

Thanks for sharing, please,

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:34 am 

Hi

There are no limitations to capacity hardcoded into A2Billing.

Joe

Hosted Voice Broadcast