Support A2Billing :

provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:29 pm
Hosted Voice Broadcast

All times are UTC

Post subject: Coding Environment
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:50 pm 

This may be a little off-subject, but I know many are coding and making mods on their own ...

What programming environment do you think is best for your PHP work? What should I endeavor into?

Dreamweaver, Delphi for PHP, other???

I assume the best goals would be for RAD, power, flexibility

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:30 pm 

Dreamweaver or PHP Designer

The latter is very light compared to dreamweaver and has more features in some areas. More importantly, I believe that there is a free version available will a little less features of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:29 pm 

If you want a nice free dev environment take a look at:

http://www.pspad.com/en/

It has alot of features found in paid software.

/Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:35 pm 

Free is nice, and if the proper tools have it for free - GREAT ... but to pay $300 for something that can give you pro look and save you hours front/back end ... it would be worth it too.

My dad was telling me to check out the Delphi for PHP, and lots of people bitch about DW being more graphics than real programming environment, so I figure there's some here that will know the good scoop.

Still listening for all suggestions and experiences. (good, bad, or otherwise)

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:03 pm 

krzykat wrote:
Free is nice, and if the proper tools have it for free - GREAT ... but to pay $300 for something that can give you pro look and save you hours front/back end ... it would be worth it too.

What is pro look when your talking about coding? You can get a pro look with wordpad if you know what you are doing...

krzykat wrote:
My dad was telling me to check out the Delphi for PHP, and lots of people bitch about DW being more graphics than real programming environment, so I figure there's some here that will know the good scoop.

I haven't really looked at Delphi yet but as for DW it is NOT a real good coding environment if you like to hand code.

/Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:24 pm 

kate.

And I fill my git repo with commits about whitespace.. I correct all this junk in the code produced by windoze-based editors.

Pro, for me, is clean, readable code. I have seen NO such thing come out of any editor-IDE that was windoze-based.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:20 pm 

Sure, coding by hand .. even wordpad :) can give the best quality results, but is also the most time intensive. So I guess what I was looking for speed and good coding, so if there were any good PHP RAD, and yes YES YES - clean readable is the end thing we all want. I mean if someone uses a RAD tool, you still want to be able to then take the source and drop it into your favorite editor and tweak it up.

I appreciate all the comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:35 pm 

krzycat:
You either didn't read what I wrote above, or haven't seen how kate/kwrite work.

I mean exactly what you suggest: use some tool that help me work faster (aka. RAD) and still don't mess with the code.
Wordpad is exactly what I meant by lousy should-never-use editors: it messes so much with the code that breaks it. Some "RAD"s do also.

If you have HTML+ PHP + SQL in one text file, few (if any) editors can handle all of those at once. So, any tool that tries to mess with it will, eventually, *mess* with the code.
Kate part does great syntax highlighting, code folding and a few tricks, but at the end it behaves just as an editor. It won't change the code unless I type something. And, yet, it is so simple that leaves much visual space to the code itself. That's what makes me work faster.

Linux programs also feature copy paste (the real one), sth. windoze people really miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:43 pm 

I have to say +1 for kate. It's a great editor.

In addition I find kompare's output a lot more readable than lengthy diffs.

Oh, and being familiar with a few of grep's flags can be very useful too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:10 am 

Just so everyone else knows who is following this, Kate is an editor that is a Linux only application. You can find more info here http://kate-editor.org/

/Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:42 am 

I use Eclipse with PHP plugin.
I use it rather than Dreamweaver because I can see all methods of classes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:49 pm 

oxifier wrote:
I use Eclipse with PHP plugin.
I use it rather than Dreamweaver because I can see all methods of classes

You can find Eclipse here http://www.eclipse.org/, it works on XP as well as Linux.

/Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:48 pm 

Yeah, my programmer right now say's he uses zend and eclipse. I'm gonna also download the Delphi for PHP and give it a test drive, I know its pretty new (just came out in like March) so I'll report back if it looks like it has any merit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:40 am 

So far it seems that Eclipse with php module is the best IDE you could find for coding despite all the other plugins that can help you on dev.

Now you need a good PC or laptop to be able to work with Eclipse and do other stuff.
For my laptop is too much resources consuming and I just sadly went back to the dear Anjuta ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:54 pm 

Areski or anyone, have you tried the Delphi for PHP? (note ... its not really Delphi ... they're just using a known name for marketing)

Installed it and playing with it a lil bit and so far, it looks pretty powerful. (I know - its very new though).

VoIP Billing solution