provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:32 am
Hosted Voice Broadcast

All times are UTC

Post subject: Currency Table and Rate Cards
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:23 pm 

Hello,

I am wondering how can A2Billing determine what currency the ratecards are in if we switch the default currency to CAD? I am having a situation where the ratecard is not being charged correctly cause my Ratecards are in USD currency and my charging to the clients are in CAD. I think the Ratecards is missing a field called currency which I think should be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:56 am 

To my knowledge, ALL amounts in the database should be in base_currency. So, you couldn't have one table in USD and another in CAD. The UI, however, converts some fields (in tables, not in edit ones AFAIK) to the 'running' currency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:51 pm 

Unfortunately if you check your ratecards, there is absolutely no field to specify what currency the ratecard is recorded in. Therefore A2Billing is taking the default currency for the ratecard. Therefore, I end up losing money cause of the difference. Can anyone else confirm this as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:54 pm 

http://www.answers.com/topic/that-s-not ... ter-jargon
http://www.syswear.com/view/tshirts?d=24

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-Bug-Featu ... 0201483041

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:26 pm 

You still don't understand what I am saying.

1: Your Ratecard is in USD
2: Your A2B system is in CAD for base currency
3: If you input your ratecard, A2B will consider your ratecard as CAD and NOT as USD.
4: A simple field should be added to Ratecard where it would say what currency the ratecard is in.
5: Therefore, if the Ratecard is in USD, and the A2B system is in USD, A2B's magical system of currency conversion will occur AUTOMATICALLY with the ratecard therefore, I will not be losing money on a daily basis cause of currency fluctuations.

Another example, if I get a ratecard in say Mexican Pesos, and my currency is in USD, and I get a great rate of 1 pesos per minute for a call to China. A2B would think the 1 peso is 1 usd per minute which should have actually been ~$0.10 USD per minute. Therefore, your clients get charged $1/min instead of $0.10/min.

Therefore, it is not a feature, IT IS A BUG or Missing Field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:18 am 

cyberglobe wrote:
3: If you input your ratecard, A2B will consider your ratecard as CAD and NOT as USD.

That's exactly how the system is supposed to behave!
Since you know that, you should have converted the ratecard (eg. with oocalc) to CAD *before* feeding it to the system. It is dead simple.

Keeping amounts in the database in anything else than base_currency is a bad idea, IMHO: Not only the db will have to do additional processing all the time, but a system it is bound (with a bug) to fail and result in messed up amounts. Keeping it simple (just one currency internally) is trivial and helps the programmers not do mistakes.

Having a explicit conversion at the ratecard import php page would be an interesting feature. However, I would not feel comfortable (as an user) seeing different amounts than those I entered. So, I would always do the conversion myself with oocalc on the original rate table to verify it. So, why feed the USD rates when the CAD ones are available?

Remember that in the customer UI you can always view the rates at *any* currency.

Edit:
Money fluctuations and exchange rates .. :? That is a complicated issue:
Consider *where* a2b gets its rates from. Is that the *exact* rate you are paying in? Do you pay the terminators every day or at the end of the month, on that instant rate?
Take an example: You are buying from a weird country, in WEIRD, say. You agreed to pay them in those rates. Today, rate is 0.50, so the customer does a 2.0 WEIRD call and you charge him $ 1. But, at the end of the month, you try to pay the terminator and the rate is 0.60, so you have to spend $1.20 to pay him. Doesn't it get very complicated already?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:20 am 

xrg wrote:
cyberglobe wrote:

That's exactly how the system is supposed to behave!
Since you know that, you should have converted the ratecard (eg. with oocalc) to CAD *before* feeding it to the system. It is dead simple.

Keeping amounts in the database in anything else than base_currency is a bad idea, IMHO: Not only the db will have to do additional processing all the time, but a system it is bound (with a bug) to fail and result in messed up amounts. Keeping it simple (just one currency internally) is trivial and helps the programmers not do mistakes.

By putting the currency in the Ratecard, it should, on a daily cron job, automatically adjust the currency of the call to reflect the current price per minute. I still want to work with one currency being my base currency but I want to have the cron job to "automatically adjust" the base currency rate of the rate card which I got from my provider in USD or EUR. Therefore, a daily converted rate field would be included with the current per minute rates there.

The system will spend 1 second ONCE in a day to compute the new daily rates of the ratecard from the existing exchange rate in A2B and therefore make the minor adjustments needed to ensure no loss in funds due to exchange rate swings.

Imagine in 1 month, your currency takes a swing of 50%. Your rates are only 20% from your month's base start. You would have to pay the remaining 30% of the funds from your pocket and you are at a negative income. If you had to handle 100,000 minutes in calls, at your cost of $0.15/min and you charge $0.18/min at the start of the month, and by the time you have to pay your provider it costs you $0.225/minute that would cost you $22,500 instead of $15,000. You only made $18,000 and now you are at a loss of $7,500. Yes, I am being dramatic here but in certain countries that can happen.

Just would like to see that 2 fields are added accordingly, Currency for ratecard and converted rate pricing. Also the cron job would update the converted rate pricing from the ratecard ONCE daily and therefore it would NOT do more than 10 seconds of additional processing time in a month.

I am following the Keep it simple path, By ensuring that it is simple and protects everyone from any potential increase/decrease in foreign exchange and ratecards. If you want to lose $75,000 and have no profit for a month, by all means do so. I would rather ENSURE that I am getting my daily cut from the provider without needing to run manual processes on my servers to adjust rates and cause errors in the system. The Base ratecard is the default price it would get the converted rate from.

The thing is that I only have USD ratecards available to me and no CAD ones from my providers. I have to convert it therefore I need it to follow the current currency exchange.

xrg wrote:
Money fluctuations and exchange rates .. Confused That is a complicated issue:
Consider *where* a2b gets its rates from. Is that the *exact* rate you are paying in? Do you pay the terminators every day or at the end of the month, on that instant rate?
Take an example: You are buying from a weird country, in WEIRD, say. You agreed to pay them in those rates. Today, rate is 0.50, so the customer does a 2.0 WEIRD call and you charge him $ 1. But, at the end of the month, you try to pay the terminator and the rate is 0.60, so you have to spend $1.20 to pay him. Doesn't it get very complicated already?

Exchange rates may be complicated for you, but in all honesty, it is easy for the rest of the world.

That is why by having the system manage via a daily cron to update the converted ratecard's per minute charge, I can manage this better and reduce my loses. Also, by offering my clients the lowest possible price, they know that they are getting the best pricing even though it fluctuates. Instead of paying a fixed high rate and not worry about the fluctuations. Today everyone looks at who is the cheapest. If you are not cheap in price, don't expect much business. This offers the best way to manage the lowest pricing with ensuring your clients pay you properly for the fluctuating currency exchange rates.

Basically, the simple way to fix this is:
1: When importing have a dropdown list field 'Ratecard Currency'.
2: After importing, it would run a script that will take the current exchange rate from the currency table and update the field 'converted per minute rate'
3: Have a cron daily job to simply convert all ratecards per minute charges to the 'converted per minute rate'

Not to hard to do, barely uses any CPU resources and you have a daily fluctuating per minute rate chart.

I found one provider who offers CAD rates however he charges a 50% premium in comparison to his USD rates. Why should I pay that premium and reduce my profits when I can have a system that can handle it with a simple inclusion.

A2B has the engine to do it, all they now need is to simply adjust it for the ratecards and presto, we don't need to worry about it anymore. International A2B owners would be happy to get more profits into their pockets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:25 am 

ratecard is updated via yahoo.com financial [based on their rate].

Hosted Voice Broadcast