provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:31 am
VoIP Billing solution

All times are UTC

Post subject: Using the G729 codec
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:12 pm 

Hello

I have a regular Asterisk installation, I'm with a provider that only supports G729. Do I need to install the G729 codec in order to use it? or I can just do pass through ? How can I pass through it?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:35 pm 

If I was you, I would install the codec. I have heard that it has a better compression and a better quality. And besides, it's only 10$ at http://www.digium.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:41 pm 

what is passthru?

assume that the ata connected to your asterisk box uses 729 and that the voip provider on the other end of your server uses 729. they can then "passthru" their media streams via the asterisk box without requiring it do any translation. the server is just a pass thru device.

but supposed your server has to play a message for the ata example voicemail or prompts then the server will no longer be a passthru device. in this case you will need the 729 codec to accomplish this translation.

on the subject of cost for the licence. it is $10 per channel. so if u have 5 licences then you are limited to 5 simultaneous 729 conversations. it is not $10 for your entire box.

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:08 am 

gue wrote:
what is passthru?

assume that the ata connected to your asterisk box uses 729 and that the voip provider on the other end of your server uses 729. they can then "passthru" their media streams via the asterisk box without requiring it do any translation. the server is just a pass thru device.

but supposed your server has to play a message for the ata example voicemail or prompts then the server will no longer be a passthru device. in this case you will need the 729 codec to accomplish this translation.

on the subject of cost for the licence. it is $10 per channel. so if u have 5 licences then you are limited to 5 simultaneous 729 conversations. it is not $10 for your entire box.

hope this helps

I see, I had some trouble making calls, I always get the busy tone. I want to use this for my calling card application in A2Billing. I paid for the G729 codec from Digium but haven't received it from them yet. I hope it works after I install it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:50 pm 

arya6000 wrote:
gue wrote:
what is passthru?

hope this helps

I see, I had some trouble making calls, I always get the busy tone. I want to use this for my calling card application in A2Billing. I paid for the G729 codec from Digium but haven't received it from them yet. I hope it works after I install it.

usually you have it in the 10 minutes following your order. (by mail)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:53 pm 

i ordered 5 licences a month ago - it took them 24 hours and they send receipt via email after one week. Looks like they are busy or something. It's better to give a call if you are still waiting.

Hosted Voice Broadcast