Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 pm 

Quote:
0/0 encoders/decoders of 1 licensed channels are currently in use

is this ok?

OK for what ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:38 am 

Hello Vasiloui, what you see is perfectly ok. It is showing that you have installed a license for one (1) g729 channel.

To help everyone understand about how these channels are used, here is what we have been able to observe so far ...

When you have some g729 licenses, the only time that they are used is when you are doing some local g729 processing like playing a sound file (or processing DTMF I guess). In most cases, you can consider this: if your Asterisk is acting as one endpoint of the call, then you are using a license. That include:

- any transcoding between g279 and any other codec,
- any IVR, sound file, ... that uses the g729 codec.

When you are selling calling card or doing trunking, assuming that the 1st leg is using g729, then the g729 codec will be used from the begin of the call until the time the 1st leg is bridged with another g729 channel for termination purpose. At that point, you will be doing g729 pass through and the license will be release and made available for other calls even though the other is still ongoing. How cool is that. It means that you don't have to purchase 200 licenses if you think that your server will have to handle 200 concurrent calls. What matters is the number on concurrent call setups that you think you will have at any given time. The magical number is hard to come up with, but it sure is not 200.

No matter what people are saying, try to avoid transcoding at all cost. It eats up CPU power so bad that you are better off without it. Do your best to have the sound files in all the formats that are used in your system. When you do transcoding, even if the server is not very loaded, you will notice that the sound quality is not at its best.

If you are using Asterisk 1.4.xx, then search the forum for a script that I have created and submitted somewhere here. I think it's called convert. It will allow you to recursively convert any sound files supported by Asterisk 1.4 to any format supported by Asterisk. When using it, it will be best to convert from WAV to other format cause the WAV format is closer the best quality IMHO. The WAV files are available on A2Billing's file repository.

One other thing to keep in mind is that near the end of the calls, when Asterisk can play an audio file that says "You have xx seconds remaining", it becomes an endpoint for a few seconds. That will require the use of a local codec license. And if that license is a GSM, than you will notice that the use count of your GSM license will increase during the playback.

I hope this helps.

P.S.: Whatever I wrote here is based on my own find. I didn't read it anywhere else. Therefore, I may be wrong. So feel free to enlighten us if you have more accurate information.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:31 am 

thanx a lot ,you surprise me with your post......is too big :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:32 am 

:)

VoIP Billing solution