provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:11 pm
Predictive Dialer

All times are UTC

Post subject: Copyright info on Agent portal - Not a proper practice
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:07 am 

Hi Dev Team,

To keep copyright info on Agent account is simply exposing business secrets and introduces an improper trust dilemma. Not a good business acumen as well. Yes, one might argue that an agent can be an inside administrator and not an outsider but we all know that agent is mostly used for outside clients and customers and not simply inside admins.

However, if you argue that agents are inside users, still, what is the point of showing copyright info to them when you have it already for Admin? The reasoning is simply flawed. Showing copyright info 1000 times and in 1000 places to employees of a SINGLE organization (which already knows they are using A2Billing) is futile and it is equivalent to showing it once to the main decider which is the Admin.

Anyhow, my request is that you practice a more open minded approach to the problem and notice that removing copyright info definitely out-ways keeping it for Agent portal provided the most used role of Agent portal.

I believe that the community will benefit from this change and it will give the startup entrepreneur a chance to better manage their business secret which hopefully in turn bring them more money to be spent on A2Billing features or donations.

Regards,
Bruce

Post subject: Re: Copyright info on Agent portal - Not a proper practice
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:38 am 

Hi

It would appear that our aims are at odds with each other. We aim to bring A2Billing to as many potential customers as we can, your aim would appear to be to keep it secret. However, we accept that there are perfectly reasonable circumstances where it is good business practice for A2Billing Admin to hide the source of the software, and have catered for this possibility.

Quoting from viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6766

Quote:
...So we have created a mechanism whereby those who want to rebrand A2Billing Admin and Agent interfaces as their own, possibly for commercial reasons, can do so without contravening the AGPL. For more information see http://www.star2billing.com/licensing

You would have to make a commercial decision as to whether the likely loss of revenue caused by agents leaving you to set up their Telco based on A2Billing is going to exceed the small fee for permission to remove the copyright and licensing information.

Yours

Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:12 pm 

Joe,

I think you are right on this, now that you put it this way - Reaching More People. A2Billing should remain the most popular billing software out there for Asterisk. Probably this out-ways the other benefits which I stated earlier.

Though, I hope it doesn't get sold out like Asterisk@Home to Fonality or some other provider and remains so.

-Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:11 pm 

Hi

We've been around longer than Asterisk@Home/Trixbox, and we celebrate our 5th birthday next month since the first release announcement, and no-one has brought us so far.

I suspect it was because the Principles of AAH needed a salary, which they could not extract out of their own projects which meant that to develop and grow, someone had to put their hand their pocket and pay, so when Fonality came along...

Currently Star2Billing S.L. is supporting A2Billing and it's Principles by offering paid support, installation, and consultancy and development work, which means that we can stay true to our principles, and continue to develop the project at the same fast pace you have seen since the release of 1.4.

Finally, I'd like to thank you for your reasoned discussion, and appreciation of another's point of view. It's refreshing.

Joe

Hosted Voice Broadcast