Support A2Billing :

provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:49 am
VoIP Billing solution

All times are UTC

Post subject: Account Registered
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:26 pm 

Wouldn't it be cool to provide the user with feedback on the website that would allow them to know if their phone device is registered properly? And if you do that, why not also tell them their latency? Maybe something like:

Registered Excellent (for say under 200 ms) ... cause I think telling customers 200 ms would be confusing for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:58 pm 

Nice idea!! :up:

we need this listing:

0-150ms = Exelent (Very Good)
151-350ms = OK [Normal]
351-450ms = Less than normal, but Ok
451-550 = Poor
550 and plus = Bad

correct me please, its just a concept.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:50 pm 

quality is more than just ping times. you might wnat to examine a tool like Pingplotter and see how they arrive at something called MOS which is a better measure of quality as it takes jitter into account. You might be better of getting your client to run pingplotter and learn a lot more about the connection to your server.

just my humble opinion and i am not affiliated with pingplotter in anyway shape or form

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:39 pm 

If you think your clients understand pingplotter ... then OK. But MOST of clients don't even know what a ping or latency means. That's why I put this request ... they don't know if they are registered or not even. This would be something for the masses and would probably catch 95% these types of issues.

Anest - I don't know what latency would equal what "grade" but I think we should discuss it and all vote on it unless there is standards already created.
One reason I went with the "grading" concept is simply because people don't understand latency. Also - I think it needs to be graded all the way to 2000ms, as that is a breaking point for asterisk to attempt a call to remote side.

I had a customer that when they would call someone and i checked their latency it was in the 250 range while they were calling into system. But if they were on-hook for a while and I checked their latency via sip show peers, status = "Unknown" - so I know somehow it is more than 2000, but to the customer, they thought the person trying to call them was the one with the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:05 pm 

I had thought of doing such a thing: collecting and analyzing network data about the calls. There is many thoughts, ping wouldn't be enough. You'd need sth. like the jitter/delay statistics held by the iax2 channel.
Anyway, we stopped that, here, as the budget for such a project would be too high for us at the moment.
I'd be happy, though, to share my thoughts, in case someone actually implements it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:31 pm 

maybe the people at www.brixnet.com will sell you enough of their test suite so that you could build your own version of www.testyourvoip.com so that you can have a simple visual java app that displays their MOS when communicating with your server

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:10 pm 

Hey guys, please, dont make the elephant from the small insect (i start it first, sorry)
I agree with krzykat, just a simple visual tool like "OK/NOT OK", "Connected/Disconnected" is will be very good idea. on this stage we need nothing more from the idea. but it's can be very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:59 pm 

Still, I don't think it's that *simple*. The fact that a ping passed doesn't mean that the call will get through. Additionally, you are /billing/ people. That is, you have to offer them some level of services (or, at least, know what your customers are getting).
Would you want them not to be satisfied?

-- I know, this *is* an elephant. In the scope of a low-cost open-source system such a serious system may not fit. But still, a2b itself seems to be much more than a simple implementation of billing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:19 pm 

yeah, but some people don't even know if they are registered. yes - the user is that dumb about their device. I use sip show peers like .... all the time to find out for them. A complex solution is nice, but even a simple one I think is much more useful than what we have now.

Currently the user gets ZERO feedback. Just a little something is a HUGE step in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:28 pm 

why dont you just start with a "graphic" that shows : Registered

some servers deny ping from wan, so a ping is in my opinion useless.

mic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:19 am 

I didn't read the whole post but I use VQManager to keep tabs on my voice network including MOS, latency, jitter, etc.... It's made by adventnet at http://www.adventnet.com

Hope this kinda helps?!?

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:58 am 

Chris,

I've been looking for this info and got the answer here. You're very resourceful. Thanks

Richard

Auto Dialer Software