provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:10 am
VoIP Billing solution

All times are UTC

Post subject: Does A2billing detect Operator Intercept SIT tones
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:31 pm 

Does A2billing detect Operator Intercept SIT tones
When an invalid number is dialed or an error condition occurs on the network, an operator intercept may occur. In the US, SIT tones are heard followed by a recorded message explaining the problems signaling that is separated from the channel carrying the information - the voice, data, video, etc. Typically the separation is accomplished by a filter. The signaling includes dialing and other supervisory signals

I have notice that many numbers that I call, I get an operated Intercept SIT tone and the call still gets logged as a billable call. I think it would be very useful if a2billing were able to properly detect Operator Intercept SIT tones. This could weed out a lot of calls user shouldn't be billed for which are getting logged as billable calls. When I call 1502-222-7077 which is no longer a working number I get an operated Intercept SIT tone and this call is logged as a canceled call however if I call only 1502-222 I also get an Intercept SIT tone but this call gets logged as a billable call. Why is this?

If necessary I would be willing to pay for the development of this feature if its not already implemented in the a2billing software.

To get the specs on Intercept SIT tone go to

[/img]http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/tel_pswt/vco_prod/sup_call/sup04.htm#17321

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:08 pm 

So I understand that you're using TDM trunks, right? If you'd use VoIP trunks, that problem would not exists, since the VoIP providers *SHOULD* send you back SIP messages with what's going on (however, they are not always doing that, or send you the wrong response).

Processing SIT codes is not a trivial job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:01 pm 

marcelbarbulescu wrote:
So I understand that you're using TDM trunks, right? If you'd use VoIP trunks, that problem would not exists, since the VoIP providers *SHOULD* send you back SIP messages with what's going on (however, they are not always doing that, or send you the wrong response).

Processing SIT codes is not a trivial job.

I guess the key words are as you stated "however, they are not always doing that, or send you the wrong response).
"

For this very reason is why I need to be able to detect Intercept tones. I am using 2 way VOIP lines from level3 to take incoming calls and place out going calls. Using this method I can have customers calling my New York lines and terminate calls for them to the West coast on my outbound local voip lines for the area without a long distance cost. I don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:15 pm 

So you're saying that Level3 gave you IAX connections? Hm... IAX is an Asterisk protocol and I doubt Level3 uses Asterisk anywhere in their network.
Even on PRI lines, you're sipposed to have separate signaling for the SIT tones, so if you're provider is good, you should get back signaling messages with what happened. Let me put it this way: it's easier to change the provider that implement SIT tones recognition in Asterisk... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:46 pm 

marcelbarbulescu wrote:
So you're saying that Level3 gave you IAX connections? Hm... IAX is an Asterisk protocol and I doubt Level3 uses Asterisk anywhere in their network. Even on PRI lines, you're sipposed to have separate signaling for the SIT tones, so if you're provider is good, you should get back signaling messages with what happened. Let me put it this way: it's easier to change the provider that implement SIT tones recognition in Asterisk... :)

I think you are correct, level3 doesn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:52 pm 

Yes, Level3 can deliver SIP but as you said, they deal only with big wholesalers. But marking calls as answered when they are not connected to the enduser I suspects it's NetLogic's problem. I just tried the 502-222-7077 number with a few of my providers and yes, I get the prompt, but the call is not marked as connected.

VoIP Billing solution