provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 pm
Hosted Voice Broadcast

All times are UTC

Post subject: porting a2billing to freeswitch
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:21 am 

hi all ,
we have been using a2billing for a while with our asterisk based solutions . Now we are moving our systems from asterisk to freeswitch due to the need of large call volume support . it has become necessary for us to port our billing platform as well . Unfortunately , searching the web and forums only came out with assurance from developers that they will move a2billing to asterisk , but no such downloads have been made available.

my question is has there been any work done on porting a2billing to freeswitch so far ? if so , is it possible to access it . if not , we shall have to do the porting ourselves , which is fine .. but in order to avoid re-inventing the wheel I wanted to just confirm with the a2billing developers .

If I understand correctly , the main communication between asterisk and a2billing occurs through the php agi script called a2billing.php . Freeswitch provides similar functionality through Event Socket Outbound (http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Event_socket_outbound ) and also it has a really good module called mod_nibblebill which can "nibble" away cash from database real-time during a call . Our main target is to make a2billing work with freeswitch using these two elements . So if there has been any written documentation on how a2billing actually works , it would be hugely beneficial for us .

Looking forward to an answer from you.
Regards,
Shrouk Khan

edit : Also , is there any document on how to build a2billing with asterisk using some IDE like eclipse or Zend Studio ? :)

Post subject: Re: porting a2billing to freeswitch
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:28 am 

Hi

Work is under way on Free switch, but is is a ground up re-write.

Yesterday, Star2Billing, the commercial arm of A2Billing was asked to talk at the Asterisk Atlanta user's group, and here are Areski's words.

Quote:
So what are we planning next ?

As I have mentioned in our last presentation, we are rebuilding A2Billing.
and this will be some kind of rewrite from Scratch.

Why do we need a new rewrite ?
- A2Billing, as it stands now, has been too restrictive in terms of design.
- It s a project on which it's hard to contribute.
- The code isn't well structured and the framework is proper to A2Billing and this makes it difficult for other developers to get into the code.
- the Interface doesn't take advantage of Ajax, and the templating system isn't great either.

We have been learning a lot building A2Billing, and so far we have provided a great solution which makes thousands of users happy, but we know that we can push this to a higher level and that s what weare aiming to do.

So our Goals ?
- We are rebuilding A2B on a full MVC framework, using the Django.

The new rebuild will be modular and with a pluggable interface to ease contribution from the
community.

We want to provide a module forge, for instance if you want a payment module for worldpay,
this doesn't need to be part of the core application, as possibly it wouldn't be of interest to many people. but this should be download-able and easily pluggable into your A2Billing.

- We also want to push the design and get an appealing look and feel, Web 2.0 oriented.
Improve the structure, the ergonomics and the connectivity between the A2Billing elements.
- We also need a Flexible and independent Billing Module :

As some of you know, we currently have an AGI which is heavy and hardly portable to other
platforms.

The new rating engine, we are working on, will be platform independent and will offer much
more flexibility, we plan to make this easily portable to Asterisk and Freeswitch, and later to
other VOIP platforms.

So I hope this gives you an idea of where we are going... hopefully soon

We are targeting a first announcement this summer, so be patient and stay tuned :)

Thank you!

So if you have programming skills or resources, then I am sure Areski would be pleased of the help.

Yours

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:17 am 

That sounds very promising. Following a MVC framework is a great idea. As for templates, wouldn't be a good idea to commit to a CMS (such as Joomla) that already have tons of professional templates that a2billing users can select from. Joomla already comes with plenty of classes and functions that A2Billing can use to speed up its development. That would allow A2Billing developers to work on the backend aspect of integrating of A2Billing to Asterisk and Freeswitch. And by only modifying the View component (of MVC), A2Billing can be integrated into other CMS.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:21 am 

Hi

I know that Areski has spent a lot of time deciding which framework to use, and I trust his decision absolutely.

Read more about Django here - http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/intro/overview/

Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:05 pm 

Is there a timeline on Version 2 of a2billing?

Predictive Dialer