Support A2Billing :

provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm
Hosted Voice Broadcast

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem with backups not working (v1.2.3)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:18 am 

I've found a problem in the backup process (version 1.2.3). Symptoms are the backup appears instantaneous but nothing is backed up. No error message, and the backup is added to the restore list but of course cannot be restored because it never existed.

I've traced it to the Public/form_data/FG_var_backup.inc file, where the pg_dump command is executed. On line 24 & 25, the environment variable PGPASSWORD is set so that it will be available to the pg_dump command called on line 30 and the backup will succeed. But on my system at least, the env var set isn't working, therefore the pg_dump fails.

My fix is to combine the PGPASSWORD env var command with the pg_dump command. To implement this, replace these three lines:

$env_var="PGPASSWORD='".PASS."'";
putenv($env_var);
$run_backup=PG_DUMP." -c -d -U ".USER." -h ".HOST." -f \
".$backup_file." ".DBNAME;

with this one:

$run_backup="PGPASSWORD='".PASS."' ".PG_DUMP." -c -d -U ".USER." \
-h ".HOST." -f ".$backup_file." ".DBNAME;

Running diff -u gives me this:

--- FG_var_backup.inc 2007-02-08 15:35:02.000000000 -0800
+++ FG_var_backup.inc.original 2007-02-08 15:23:09.000000000 -0800
@@ -21,7 +21,9 @@
if (DB_TYPE != 'postgres'){
$run_backup=MYSQLDUMP." -all --databases ".DBNAME." -u".USER." -p".PASS." > ".$backup_file;
}else{
- $run_backup="PGPASSWORD='".PASS."' ".PG_DUMP." -c -d -U ".USER." -h ".HOST." -f ".$backup_file." ".DBNAME;
+ $env_var="PGPASSWORD='".PASS."'";
+ putenv($env_var);
+ $run_backup=PG_DUMP." -c -d -U ".USER." -h ".HOST." -f ".$backup_file." ".DBNAME;
}

if ($FG_DEBUG == 1 ) echo $run_backup."<br>";

Hope this is of some help.

Timbo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:34 pm 

This practice is, I'm afraid, false.
You are never supposed to supply passwords to commands in their command line. Every user in the system has the right to read out the cmdline, and therefore the password.

One alternative would be to let postgres trust all local users (see pg_hba.conf). In fact, trusting all local users is even more secure than having a password in the cmdline.

I'm looking into the matter for an even better solution.
Edit: read /usr/share/doc/postgresql-docs-8.2.0/libpq-pgpass.html

One more note: we're telecoms here, not home-office users. All data, cdr's, logs etc should be kept safely. Otherwise we're in deep legal trouble..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:04 pm 

I back off this feature.

The reason is: I *don't* want the web-user to be able to dump the db. I see that as a security threat.
You can adjust a cronjob for the pg_dump, with a separate user and the pass in ~/.pgpass . But don't do that for apache, and *never* for user-supplied backup paths!

Post subject: Backups
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:18 pm 

I'm not familiar with the risk you are referring to ("Every user in the system has the right to read out the cmdline, and therefore the password"). If you could elaborate on how this is a risk I would appreciate it. Otherwise I'll take your word for it and look at alternatives.

I agree with you that trusting all local postgres users is a bad idea. However, my server is firewalled and locked down very tightly and there ARE no other users accessing it other than public http. Still, I never open up pg_hba to more than is necessary.

How about a cron job running as root dumping the db daily or weekly, and using rsync (w/ssh) to move it to another server? Then you could use logrotate on the other server to automatically keep X generations of backups. What do you think of this idea?

I suppose the other way is to figure out why setting the PGPASSWORD env var prior to issuing the pg_dump command does not work as Areski intended.

Anyone else want to comment on a good (and simple) backup strategy for A2Billing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:32 pm 

1. Just anybody running anything on your server could have the ability to issue shell commands and then read the cmdline. (I'm not sure about the security of env vars, either). Which means, that, once they issue a 'ps -ef' at your system, they have your password!
If you just trust all local users, is more secure: because the password will remain secret.
2. pg_dump was intentionally designed to not take the password like that.
3. the apache user is the most exposed one. Just any vulnerablity at a web application could let them also penetrate in a2billing.
4. Your idea about the cronjob is what I meant. That is the best one. I would also encrypt the db file before sending it. Naming the backups after their date, is also easy and will let you have a history (in case data gets damaged).
5. Note that apache still has access to a2billing whatsoever. *all* your webapps running there have to be secure, otherwise you're compromizing the call data[1].

[1] in most countries it is a crime to publish call data. It is not just any business data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:46 pm 

xrg wrote:
1. Just anybody running anything on your server could have the ability to issue shell commands and then read the cmdline. (I'm not sure about the security of env vars, either). Which means, that, once they issue a 'ps -ef' at your system, they have your password!
If you just trust all local users, is more secure: because the password will remain secret.
2. pg_dump was intentionally designed to not take the password like that.
3. the apache user is the most exposed one. Just any vulnerablity at a web application could let them also penetrate in a2billing.
4. Your idea about the cronjob is what I meant. That is the best one. I would also encrypt the db file before sending it. Naming the backups after their date, is also easy and will let you have a history (in case data gets damaged).
5. Note that apache still has access to a2billing whatsoever. *all* your webapps running there have to be secure, otherwise you're compromizing the call data[1].

[1] in most countries it is a crime to publish call data. It is not just any business data.

Wow good one....ALL very valid points :!: Unfortunately.....i think this post will go WAAAAY over the heads of most users here haha....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:47 am 

Hi Please,

I would recommend not to change any codes. This backup process working fine.

Just follow the installation - how it is described in a2b.

And for Backup - make some changes in a2billing.conf

if you are using mysql - then comment out psql. And if you are using psql then comment out mysql.

; configuration for backup and restore in mysql
[backup]

; Path to store backup of database
backup_path = /tmp

; path for gzip
gzip_exe=/bin/gzip

; path for gunzip
gunzip_exe=/bin/gunzip

; path for mysqldump
mysqldump=/usr/bin/mysqldump

; path for pg_dump - below was enabled
;pg_dump=/usr/bin/pg_dump

; path for mysql
mysql=/usr/bin/mysql

;path for psql - below was enabled
;psql=/usr/bin/psql

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:22 am 

ohh!

To save the Database - works great.

but Some problem happened with user account! so I needed to restore the database. But restore didnt work by admin interface!

Auto Dialer Software