Support A2Billing :

provided by Star2Billing S.L.

Support A2Billing :
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 pm
Hosted Voice Broadcast

All times are UTC

Post subject: How do I make the database redundant?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:05 pm 

I am setting up wholesale sip trunking. It needs to be a solid setup. Downtime is not an option.

My current plan is 2 A2billings servers installed in separate datacenters. Each talking to a common database on one or the other server. That still leaves the database as a single point of failure. At a minimum I will probably do master-slave and live with the fact I would have to manually switch over if the master is not available. Even if I create scripts and document everything and test it all beforehand it's still going to be a manual process that involves downtime.

Is there a better way? I have looked at master-master and don't think it's a very good option from what I have read. A lot more complicated and has problems with split brain etc. Not really recommended for WAN either.

So still looking for a better solution. Galera looks nice but I don't think it's compatible with A2billing (only works with Innodb and maybe some other issues).

Post subject: Re: How do I make the database redundant?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:09 pm 

In the spirit of giving back I would like to report some preliminary findings.

A2billing v2.2
Asterisk v13
CentOS v7
Mariadb v10.1 running as a Galera cluster

Add:
Code:
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 0

To /etc/my.cnf.d/server.cnf

Galera cluster running on Mariadb v10.1 seems to get the job done. It is relatively easy to setup. 3 A2billing servers all running as masters separated by about 30ms ping time from each other. You need to install or convert all your A2billing database tables from MyISAM to InnoDB. I have installed as InnoDB from scratch and tried converting a standard install already using MyISAM and it seems to work either way without a hitch

The one major problem I ran into was importing ratecards via the GUI on the cluster. It was impractically slow. No amount of Galera and InnoDB optimization makes any significant improvement. Maybe about 200-400 rows per minute is about as fast as it gets. Even on a LAN it is slow so it is a code issue due to INNODB and/or Galera cluster rather than because of the WAN speed.

Make sure to set "innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 0" (or 2) otherwise it will be extremely slow. That takes care of one issue that you will see even if just running INNODB with no Galera cluster. The other change requires a code change to /admin/Public/CC_ratecard_import_analyze.php. The problem is that commits are done for every line in the rate card which apparently is a very slow operation on Galera. What I did was create a loop so that commits are only done every 1000 lines. It's actually quite easy with the Adodb abstraction layer that A2billing uses. Just add $DBHandle->StartTrans(); at the beginning of the loop and only use $DBHandle->CompleteTrans(); every 1000 lines. That increased the speed hundreds of times to where it was close to what it would be on a standalone database.

My A2billing servers are nothing special. VPS servers with 1GB RAM and 2 CPU cores. Just some basic MySQL optimization. I followed guidelines for optimizing Galera for WAN links and did some of the basic InnoDB optimizations. Chatter between the masters is not bandwidth intensive even under heavy load.

Hosted Voice Broadcast